Do you have a passion for excellence, great attention to detail, a desire to be innovative and creative, and a sense of stewardship and responsibility? Then you’re an ideal candidate to join our team. Please see current listings below.
Biospark is seeking an A-player Docketing and Annuities Specialist who will be responsible for the daily management of the docket and annuities / maintenance fees (“annuities”) for our clients’ patent portfolios to join its team! Biospark utilizes CPI R9 for both patent management and annuities management (AMS), and needs a proactive and critical thinking team member to stay on top of these systems.
You ideally have:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- At least 7 years of patent docketing experience and 2 years of annuities experience
- Thorough knowledge of both USPTO and international patent procedures, filing requirements, terminology, and deadlines, as well as a good understanding of worldwide patent annuity laws
- Familiarity with the USPTO website including the Patent PAIR System, Patent Center, and external patent office databases (e.g., WIPO, EPO, etc.)
- Strong proficiency in standard software applications (including Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and Zoom) and a willingness to learn new software applications
- Strong proficiency in docketing and annuities software; CPI is preferred
- Supreme attention to detail
This position will entail:
- “Owning” the docket for all clients by ensuring all deadlines are docketed and accurate
- On a daily basis, reviewing, docketing, filing, and reporting out office actions, notices of allowance, and other USPTO, PCT, and foreign associate correspondence to determine and enter deadlines
- Reviewing relevant documents and correspondence, including filing receipts and other patent office notices, to ensure the docket is complete and accurate
- Processing and docketing new applications and matters
- Monitoring deadlines and systematically reminding responsible patent professionals of deadlines in a timely manner to ensure they are met
- “Owning” the payment of annuities for all clients by ensuring all annuities are paid timely
- Implementing an annuities payment workflow that requires seeking instructions from clients to pay, then instructing foreign associates or annuity agents to pay, so as to ensure timely payment
- Verifying all matters, dates, and other information in AMS to ensure AMS is complete and accurate
- Conducting status checks of outstanding annuities and pending annuity instructions to ensure timely payment
- Confirming accuracy of annuities payments
- Reconciling annuity-related invoices
- Handling docket-related and annuities-related inquiries, including creation of docket reports and annuity reports, from patent professionals upon request
- Recognizing docketing and annuities anomalies and discrepancies and conducting appropriate research and follow-up to resolve same
- Proactively managing and improving the firm’s docketing and annuities systems, processes, and procedures
- Researching US and international patent prosecution and annuities deadlines and understanding date calculations, as well as staying abreast of changes to such deadlines and ensuring systems, processes, and procedures are updated to account for such changes
- Organizing and maintaining docket-related items and annuities-related items in client files
- Acting as primary point of contact within the firm, as well as for clients, foreign associates, and vendors, regarding docketing and annuities
- The ideal candidate would also be able to support the paralegal team as needed, such as by preparing documents for e-filing with the USPTO, light editing of applications, coordinating and communicating with clients, drafting correspondence, preparing Information Disclosure Statements, recording assignments, and preparing routine correspondence
People would describe you as someone who loves to dot the i’s and cross the t’s, and is independent, thorough, responsive, and driven to resolve all issues and tasks. You would be working in a supportive, small firm environment as part of a team that is growing but where you know everyone.
This role is open to highly experienced and dedicated part-time candidates who are willing to commit at least 25 flexible working hours per week
Biospark is seeking a senior patent associate / counsel to join its team! You ideally:
- Have an advanced degree (preferably Ph.D.) in a biology or chemistry discipline
- Have 6-9 years of patent counseling and prosecution experience for biotech / pharma clients
- Strive for excellence and growth
- Stay on top of developments in patent law, in the US and abroad, that impact your practice
- Are attentive to and precise with details
- Are enthusiastic about training and empowering others
- Proactively manage your work and schedule
You have experience in a diverse range of patent strategy, drafting, prosecution, and due diligence matters and relevant training in a “Big Law” environment, but are looking to apply your experience and skills in a supportive, small firm environment with close client relationships. Biospark is expanding and you can influence and improve our processes, and for the right candidate this role can result in a management / leadership opportunity.
While this role is intended to be full-time, we will consider a stellar candidate with a flexible schedule who is able to commit at least 25-30 hours a week to the position.
Biospark’s mission is to provide high-quality patent legal services to our clients through excellent services, constant innovation, and a sense of stewardship. We are also highlyattuned to our team’s professional and personal goals, and focus on creating a work environment that is flexible, collegial, and sustainable.
Biospark’s team is mostly virtual and we will entertain resumes from any location in the continental US. Except as noted above, Biospark will consider candidates for both part-time (a commitment of at least 25 hours a week) and full-time positions. We would anticipate travel for team meetings to occur twice a year.
Join our growing practice! Please submit resume, cover letter (including a vision of where you would like to see yourself career-wise in the next 3-5 years), salary preferences, desired billable hour targets, and writing samples to email@example.com.