Do you have a passion for excellence, great attention to detail, a desire to be innovative and creative, and a sense of stewardship and responsibility? Then you’re an ideal candidate to join our team. Please see current listings below.
Biospark is seeking an A-player Patent Docketing and Annuities Specialist who will be responsible for the daily management of the docket and annuities / maintenance fees (“annuities”) for our clients’ patent portfolios to join its team! Biospark utilizes CPI R9 for both patent management and annuities management, and needs a proactive and critical thinking team member to stay on top of these systems.
You ideally have:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- At least 5 years of patent docketing experience and 2 years of annuities experience
- Thorough knowledge of both USPTO and international patent procedures, filing requirements, terminology, and deadlines, as well as a good understanding of worldwide patent annuity laws
- Familiarity with the USPTO website including the Patent PAIR System, Patent Center, and external patent office databases (e.g., WIPO, EPO, etc.)
- Strong proficiency in standard software applications (including Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and Zoom) and a willingness to learn new software applications
- Strong proficiency in docketing and annuities software; CPI is preferred
- Supreme attention to detail
The role includes:
- On a daily basis, reviewing and docketing patent office and foreign associate correspondence to determine and enter deadlines
- Reviewing relevant documents and correspondence to ensure the docket is complete and accurate
- Processing and docketing new applications and matters
- Implementing an annuities payment workflow
- Verifying completeness and accuracy of all information in the firm’s annuities management system
- Reconciling annuity-related invoices
- Organizing and maintaining docket-related items and annuities-related items in client files
- Acting as primary point of contact regarding docketing and annuities
- The ideal candidate would also be able to support the paralegal team as needed, such as by preparing documents for e-filing with the USPTO, light editing of applications, coordinating and communicating with clients, drafting correspondence, preparing Information Disclosure Statements, recording assignments, and preparing routine correspondence
People would describe you as someone who “owns” your position and the responsibilities associated with it, is driven to investigate and resolve non-routine issues and implement best practices, and takes joy from seeing every i dotted and every t crossed.
We are looking for a team member who is independent, thorough, responsive, and motivated to proactively manage and improve the firm’s docketing and annuities systems, processes, and procedures.
You would be working in a supportive, small firm environment as part of a team that is growing but where you know everyone.
This role is open to highly experienced and dedicated candidates who are willing to commit at least 25 flexible working hours per week.
Biospark’s mission is to provide high-quality patent legal services to our clients through excellent services, constant innovation, and a sense of stewardship. We are also highly attuned to our team’s professional and personal goals, and focus on creating a work environment that is flexible, collegial, and sustainable.
Biospark’s team is mostly virtual and we will entertain resumes from any location in the continental US. Except as noted above, Biospark will consider candidates for both part-time (a commitment of at least 25 hours a week) and full-time positions. We would anticipate travel for team meetings to occur twice a year.
Join our growing practice! Please submit resume, cover letter (including a vision of where you would like to see yourself career-wise in the next 3-5 years), salary preferences, desired billable hour targets, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.